Sunday, February 22, 2009

These Ironworkers Rock!

I saw this story on Neatorama and thought it was so cool I just had to share it with my friends here.

It seems that a bunch of Ironworkers in Boston are giving a special treat to children who are receiving treatment for cancer at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. The Ironworkers are erecting the new Yawkey Center for Cancer care just across the way from the Institute. The children write their names on pieces of paper and tape them to a window for the Ironworkers to see. They, in turn, paint the children's names in bright colors on beams which are then hoisted into place.

This is not the first time Ironworkers have done something like this. They also did it in 1996 when the Smith Research Labs were built.

It is a simple thing. But, for the youngsters who press their noses to the glass each day to watch as new names are added, it is a few moments of joy. Over the last month they have painted more than 100 names on the building, and they have even put a likeness of SpongeBob SquarePants on their crane.

"Look out the window," Souza said, as she held Kristen in her arms. "There's your name up there. There's your name, Kristen." The girl, bald from her treatments, smiled shyly.

It has become a beloved ritual at Dana-Farber: Every day, children who come to the clinic write their names on sheets of paper and tape them to the windows of the walkway for ironworkers to see. And, every day, the ironworkers paint the names onto I-beams and hoist them into place as they add floors to the new 14-story Yawkey Center for Cancer Care.

Read the entire story here.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

No words. Too awesome.

Gerry said...

Interesting. I love the way people are always trying to think of ways to give heart to the children who are suffering, and this is kind of unique, but would convince the children the Ironworkers were aware of their pain and were thinking about them, sending their healing thoughts painting their names.

Rebecca Anne said...

what a wonderful idea! For a little one, seeing their name big bright and neon would be a matter of big importance and thats something they should all feel in their situation~
Thank you for sharing that feel good story with us.
Rebecca

kelly said...

It may be simple to some.. but to those whose names are written on those beams.. it gives them a moment of stardom.. great entry..
Kelly~

Anonymous said...

This is too good for me to come up with an acceptable comment. How about amazing & awesome? I hadn't heard of this. Thanks so much for pointing me to it.~Mary

Gayla said...

I love this story! Those kids must be absolutely thrilled to watch that :)
My first marriage was to an Ironworker. I can remember being so scared the first time I watched him walk across an iron beam, 10 stories up, like it was no big deal. These are really brave men & women.
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and writing such nice things-I really appreciate it :)
Huggers, Gayla

Angie Ledbetter said...

What a way to start the weekend. Thanks!

Traci said...

What sweetness! My neighbor is a childhood cancer survivor. He is a walking miracle.

cw2smom said...

That is sooooo cool! So heartwarming! It reminds me of when I was a kid and I used to get soooo excited listening to the Romper Room teacher looking through her magnifying glass and naming all the kids she saw out there! Every once in awhile she'd see ME! Hearing my name was magical! I bet those sick kids are loving that kind gesture! Thanks for sharing this story! Blessings, Lisa