Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Challenge

To my chagrin I have to admit that I have always had a problem being a consistent blogger. Some people post a couple times a day or several times a week, but it always seems that if/when I get on a good blogging roll, real life would jump up and pop me up the side of the head. All of last year would be a good example of this phenomenon. Still, I love my little slice of cyberspace and, with the return of warm weather to my world,  I find myself looking around here and  thinking  about dusting off the (figurative) debris and seeing if I can be a little more consistent this year.

One of the things I would like to do is to participate more in some of the things happening around and about the blogging sphere. Last year I enjoyed reading everyone's posts about the Once Upon a Time II Challenge. Most of my reading is Sci-fi/Fantasy, and I found a lot of books that I added to my TBR pile from last years challenge reviews. This year I want to join in and play along!

out3banner6200

Carl from Stainless Steel Droppings offers up the Once Upon a Time III Challenge. This challenge will include reading books from the categories of  fantasy, fairy tale, folklore, and mythology. And, it just so happens that I have been reading and have in my TBR pile several books that fit neatly into these categories. I plan to participate in:

out3journey

In Carl's words:

This is really as simple as the name implies. It means you are participating, but not committing yourself to any specific number of books. All reading is a journey, perhaps none more so than reading fantastical fiction. By signing up for The Journey you are agreeing to at least read one book within one of the four categories during March 21st to June 20th period. Just one book. If you choose to read more, fantastic! If not, then we have still had the pleasure of your company during this three month reading journey and hopefully you have read a great book, met some interesting people, and enjoyed the various activities that occur during the challenge. It has always been of utmost importance to me that the challenges that I host be all about experiencing enjoyable literature and sharing it with others. I want you to participate. Hence, The Journey.

out3q1

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time III criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.

I had just begun reading Club Dead by Charlaine Harris the day before I saw the challenge go up. Sitting on the sidelines I have New Moon by Stephanie Meyer, and InkHeart by Cornelia Funke. I also noticed that the newest Dresden book has arrived at my local bookstore. I don't think finding 5 books in these categories to read will be a problem! I don't usually do book reviews here, but I think this will be fun, and I look forward to reading everyone else's reviews.

To join in the Challenge, stop over at Stainless Steel Droppings. To see a list of the reviews as they come in check out the dedicated Once Upon a Time III blog.

Come on, join in.... You know you want to.

3 comments:

DesLily said...

ohhh how I hope you enjoy INkheart!!!
welcome to the fantasy madness!

Gerry said...

Haven't seen any sign of you since the octopus story which i enjoyed following up. Since then I am reading all stories about the wileyness of these creatures. I love the idea of a book reading challenge. My son would love the category since he and my grandson read fantasy fiction. In fact we went to a huge used bookstore where they could stock up again. I have gone to DesLily's blog, too with her love of fantasy fiction. I read a lot but just not fantasy fiction but I am always interested in book reading and reviews. Gerry

Kelly said...

Thanks for stopping in to visit my blog :). I know it is hard to post regularly. Somtimes I think maybe I dedicate too much time to blogging, then, other times I say, oh what the heck, I enjoy it. Sometimes I fall out of the mood, and sometimes I am really into it. Just go with the flow, dont force it. Just do it when you feel like it. Its all for fun right? :) Hugs, Kelly