Friday, November 06, 2009

I Would Walk 500 Miles

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) Lyrics

Chorus:

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
To fall down at your door

**preformed by The Proclaimers**

I don't know why but when I hear people talking about walking their 10,000 steps it makes me think of this song. If you want the full lyrics, just click on the link.

That seems like a lot of steps... 10,000. And, you are supposed to do them every day. Supposedly if you do that you will lose weight. Just by walking. That sounded like a great (read easy & cheap) idea to me, so I checked out a couple of sites to see what they had to say. The first thing they recommend is that you get a pedometer (you can get a very inexpensive one almost anywhere) and track how many steps you take in a day.

O.k.... easy enough. A quick trip and about $10 later I was in business. I clipped that little guy to my pocket and proceeded about my day. I was ready to find out just how few steps I actually took in a day and then I would know how many more I needed to add to reach the 10,000 step goal and to combat and hopefully get rid of that 7-10 pounds the evil scale says I've picked up recently.

Phhhhtt! I checked it after doing my morning chores and I already had over 5000 steps! I don't even wear the silly thing when I am in the house, and I've done more than 10,000 steps on every day I've worn it. Sigh! So maybe I'll have to do something waaaaay more drastic, like give up chocolate food to keep from getting fat.

Seriously though, the good thing about choosing walking as your exercise is that it is cheap, easy to do, requires practically no equipment other than a pair of comfortable shoes and a little bit of time. I'm working on adding about 2000 more steps to my day starting tomorrow by going for a walk in the evenings. I'll let you know if it actually helps. LOL!


 

3 comments:

Sage Ravenwood said...

I'm pretty sure I get in my 10,000 a day as well. I found when I cut out soda (diet too) I lost weight almost effortlessly. I was amazed such a simple thing made a difference. So it does come down to what you eat and how it effects your body. (Hugs)Indigo

Kathy said...

Walking words very well for wait loss and slimming down the tummy area. But. There's always a but. To make walking really effective one really has to walk (as in your evening walk) ... slow to fast, steady for a bit, slow down, speed up ... that's the kind of walking that takes the weight off.

I know. I did it. (now I've got to do it again!)

ambradream said...

So what if you already walk 10,000 steps in a day? (and I bet I do) does that mean I ought to walk 15,000?? LOL Don't feel bad, I determined the other day I am probably 25lbs over weight-there I said it! I could get away with just losing 10 though and look ok in my humble opinion-but 25 would be ideal! Ha! that aint gonna happen! I like my food and wine too much! and it must be that happily married thing going on J;)